Chemex Brew Guide
What You Need:
- Chemex Coffee Maker
- Chemex Bonded Filters
- Coarsely Ground Coffee Beans
- Good quality water (Filtered)
- Coffee to Water Ratio 1:15
Example: 30g coffee to 450ml water
Step 1: Prepare Your Equipment
- Unfold the Chemex Bonded Filter and place it in the Chemex with the triple-fold portion facing the spout.
Step 2: Rinse the Filter
- Pour hot water over the filter to wet it and preheat the Chemex. Discard the rinse water.
Step 3: Add Coffee
- Add coarsely ground coffee to the Chemex. Give it a gentle shake to level the coffee bed.
Step 4: The Bloom
- Start the brewing process by pouring a small amount of hot water over the coffee grounds, ensuring they're evenly saturated. Allow the coffee to bloom for about 30 seconds.
Step 5: Continue Pouring
- Slowly pour the rest of the hot water in a circular motion over the coffee grounds. Maintain a steady pour, ensuring all the coffee is saturated evenly.
Step 6: Brewing Time
- Allow the coffee to drip through the filter, adjusting your pouring rate to achieve a total brew time of around 4 minutes.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy
- Once the dripping stops, carefully remove the filter, and your Chemex is ready to serve. Pour into your favourite mug and savour the flavours.
- Experiment with pouring techniques. Some prefer a continuous pour, while others swear by the pulse pouring method.
- Adjust the grind size and coffee-to-water ratio to suit your taste preferences.
- Use fresh, quality coffee beans and grind just before brewing for the best flavour.
- Always experiment with your coffee to water ratio
- Maintain water temperature between 90-96°C
- Clean your Chemex after each use to ensure the purity of flavours.
Sip and Savor! Whether you enjoy your Chemex-brewed coffee black or with a splash of milk, this method allows you to appreciate the nuanced flavours in each cup. Happy brewing!