How to make coffee with an espresso machine (basics)
Making coffee with an espresso machine is a great way to make a delicious cup of coffee quickly and easily. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Measure out 18 grams of finely ground coffee into the portafilter and level it off.
- Tap the portafilter gently on a flat surface to settle the grinds.
- If you have a Distribution tool like a distributor or a WDT use them to break coffee lumps and distribute the coffee bed evenly inside the portafilter.
- Take your tamper and press down on the grinds with even pressure, making sure to tamp all the way to the edges of the portafilter. Make sure you’re pressing directly down on the grinds and not at an angle. Once you’ve tamped the grinds, remove the tamper and check the surface of the grinds for an even, flat surface. If it looks uneven, you may need to give it another tamp.
- Place the portafilter into the group head and lock it into place. Make sure to do it carefully. you do not want to break the coffee puck.
- Place a mug or cup on the drip tray beneath the portafilter.
- Once the machine is ready, press the button to start the espresso extraction.
- Let the coffee extract for about 25 to 30 seconds.
The ideal extraction time for an espresso shot is between 25-30 seconds. However, this can vary depending on the type of espresso blend and the grind size. Experiment with your grinder to find the perfect balance between grind size and extraction time to create the perfect espresso shot.
9. Turn off the espresso machine and remove the portafilter.
10. Serve the espresso and enjoy!
11. Add milk or sugar to taste.
If you want to make a more complex drink such as a latte or cappuccino, you can add steamed milk and other ingredients to the espresso. With a little practice, you'll be able to make the perfect espresso drinks in no time.